Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Underlying purpose

fire on a torch
What are our subliminal intentions in life's every action? What is the underlying drive in all that we do? Do we do it out of fear? Out of need? Out of a desire for someone or something in life? We all have something driving our each and every thought and action. We often don't realize it. We often just accept this drive to be a part of us. We don't analyze it. When was the last time you have analyzed your own actions and thoughts and tried to trace down the underlying drive and intention? I would confess that often times I don't reflect as often as I need to. And I have to also admit that when I do reflect, some of the answers I find are not particularly answers I would have wanted to see. I often find that intentions and actions are not as pure as they ought to be nor are they as selfless as they ought.
And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. Colossians 3:17 HCSB http://bible.com/72/col.3.17.HCSB
This passage speaks directly to it, speaks directly to the fact that in everything we do and say, it needs to be done in the name of Jesus. So if that is the case, reflect back with me and think of some of the actions in the past day or so. How many of them were done or said for the sake of Jesus? How many of them were driven by the thanksgiving and grace of what Christ has done for us? I would admit that many of mine were not. And I am ashamed to say that this is a consistent battle. It is a battle of laying down my own drive, intentions and desires and allowing Christ to fill me to the point where my words and my actions speak of Him and Him only, where everything I do ends up being a form of praise and testimony to God. So join me in this. Challenge yourself to reflect and to repent and ultimately allow yourself to be filled with the Spirit more so that everything is ultimately done in Jesus' name.

No comments: