Saturday, May 21, 2016

Generosity

During a severe testing by affliction, their abundance of joy and their deep poverty overflowed into the wealth of their generosity. I testify that, on their own, according to their ability and beyond their ability, they begged us insistently for the privilege of sharing in the ministry to the saints, and not just as we had hoped. Instead, they gave themselves especially to the Lord, then to us by God’s will. 2 Corinthians 8:2‭-‬5 HCSB http://bible.com/72/2co.8.2-5.HCSB
 This passage gripped me as I read it today. It gripped me at the sight to see a group of believers, a church, that was lacking in resources and was tested in their faith and life still giving beyond what they are able to because of their love and conviction in life and faith. This challenged me, it challenged me, to look at myself and the churches I have been a part of or even lead and how often we thought of what we have first and how we are able to stay afloat first before we look to the needs of others or to the greater Kingdom work of God. I have to confess that often times, I have looked to take care of my own ship first. I attest to the fact that often times I have lead churches to look after our own coffers and ability to do ministry first before looking at the needs of others. And this was all done in the name of financial stewardship. But here is the thing, as I meditated on this passage, I have come to realize these believers in Macedonia did as the Spirit lead them to do. The Spirit lead them in a spirit of generosity. A generosity based out of love and out of modelling God's generosity of love to us. This is deep. These people did not give out of excess rather they gave out of conviction. They had a conviction in supporting the work that was happening in the greater Kingdom and they were willing to sacrificially give for that. They were willing to make allowance and room within their own church needs so that it can bless the greater Kingdom. How many of our churches are willing to do that? Cut a particular ministry budget or run a leaner ship so that we can invest in the Kingdom. It is not about building our own little plot of kingdom but rather it is about building the Kingdom of God. We are blessed so that we can bless. This is true stewardship.

No comments: