Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Why I use a Windows Phone

Microsoft Windows Mobile 10


Often time people see me pull out my phone and they would ask me what it is, and I would have to explain to them that it is a Windows phone. And then they would ask why compared to either an Apple iPhone or the various Android phones available.

When you think of your smartphone, what is it that you think of? Apps? Email? Social media? Media? A tool to get the job done? Or a combination of them? I would think that for most people it would be a combination of various functions and various problems that they are trying to solve. I know for me, the smartphone has been an invaluable tool for information, communication and occasionally relaxation.

I have been one of those guys that have been trying to optimize my workflow or just the flow of life in general. I have tried various phones and systems with different results. For those interested I have been with Symbian, iOS, Android and Windows Phone 7, 8 & 10. Of them all, I found that they each serve differing purposes or what I like to call 'problems in life that they are aiming to solve'. Out of all of them, I have found that I keep returning back to the Windows Phone platform.

The Windows Phone experience ain't perfect and I don't expect them to be able to compete head-to-head with the other two titans in the mobile space. iOS from Apple has a definite advantage with their massive library of quality apps. Android is flexible from the start but I found that the experience varies a lot depending on the manufacturer of the phone and whether it was a low-end versus a flagship or somewhere in between. The Android experience in essence is a pick your feature and poison experience.

Like I said, I have been able to try various iterations of the modern Windows Phone experience and it is important to note this for the fact that each iteration was a distinct move and transition in how Microsoft saw and used the smartphone. However, what initially drew me and still holds me is the fact that the platform as a whole throughout the three main iterations have been built with communication and quick information capture as a premise. Their premise and philosophy is to give a system and a phone that requires you to use it less, to look at it less, so that you can focus on the important things in life, as in your real life, your family, your job and your hobbies.

I can't say that I didn't miss the multitude of apps that both iOS or Android have within their app stores but at the same time, the Windows experience has all the key apps for me to communicate and to keep in touch with the things I need on a day to day basis for living and for work.

For me, Windows Phone provided a system that can give me a quick glance at what is happening in my life with the ability to either respond or move on with life without the need to start apps or to pull down notification menus etc. All it requires is a wave of the hand or a tap on the power button and I could either have the basic notification or a more detailed list of what is happening, all presented within the main screen. I know, some of you are probably thinking that the usage of widgets on the Android system can do the same thing, and this is partially true, but it comes with a cost. A cost of extra resource on the phone that cuts into the experience. A cost of needing extra swiping motions. Either way, it is not as optimized as having a system built on this premise as a cornerstone.

Overall, Windows Phone is not right for everyone. It is a spartan experience. It is an experience where productivity and efficiency is key. It is a place where you don't need the multitude of apps but rather a key handful to get life done. It is an experience and a lifestyle choice that frees you more to live real life. For me, it has freed me from the temptation of playing or looking at my phone and allowed me to focus on my wife, my kids and my job. It has decreased the need to look at my phone for long periods of time and still able to accomplish the same thing with a glance.

If you are curious, start your exploration here. It is a journey down the rabbit hole. A journey to turn your back on what is popular in life. A journey of discovering what is important in life.

For those wondering I use a Microsoft Lumia 650.

No comments: