Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Serenity in the Rain

Rain on window

It is just a bit past noon. Lunch is done and my daughter is going down for a nap. She is laying on my chest, as she starts to drift off, holding on lightly to my finger. With the rhythmic up and down of her small body and head as I breathe gently, I noticed the rain pouring down outside from the window. There is a sense of peace. A peace that doesn't happen often in a life filled with two toddlers and a relatively full schedule. It is hard not to notice the serene look of my daughter as she slumbers.

This makes me think of the times growing up, those lazy summer afternoons where it was just the right warmth and you can't help but drift off to sleep, the mesmerizing sound of the spring rain hitting the roof, dripping off the gutter and leaves of the tree and time just seems to slow down. How often in life as we grow older and as we become more acquainted with responsibilities do we forget what it was like on those lazy days, those times of peace and serenity when you are able to transcend the burden and worries of the world and just be in tune.

How many of us have forgotten about the need to be in tune with nature? Ourselves? And with each other? Or even with God? All of this because we become too busy in what we are doing. We become what we do instead of having what we do as just a part of who we are.

Days like this help realign my mind and soul on what matters. It helps slow down the busyness of it all. And a sense of peace settles, not because life is all handled and in order but because I know it can wait.

No comments: