Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Bootcamp 3.1 Issues

So, the update Bootcamp 3.1 came out a few days back but I have not had the time to do the update from version 3.0 that shipped with Snow Leopard. Anyhow, late last night I finally got around to downloading the update manually from Apple's website and applying it.

It all seemed to go well until three 'fatal error' messages popped up sequentially. The first was concerning the new Bluetooth Keyboard, the second was the Magic Mouse (I assumed from the name of 'wireless multi-touch mouse') and the last and probably most important error in my case is that of Multi-touch mouse. I would say the last error is the most important in my case is due to the fact that I do not own any of the other two devices and probably never will since I'm quite happy and satisfy with the MacBook Pro's built-in keyboard and the multi-touch trackpad. However, the issue that is affecting me now is that the multi-touch trackpad does not work within Windows XP (Pro version, if this is relevant but I highly doubt it). And this issue can be confirmed with a quick search within Apple's Support Forum.

As such, it seems like a downgrading back to version 3.0 with the Snow Leopard DVD is not possible and would further irritate the Win-XP installation to the point of unbootable. So, it seems like the only way to fix this 'mess' would be a fresh re-installation of the whole Bootcamp partition with Windows.

So to summarize, the 3.1 update affects the installation and function of wireless mouse and keyboard and also that of the multi-touch trackpad and it seems to only affect Windows XP. A side note, OS-X was not affected in any way or form or fashion.

No comments: